The Arbutus Grocery has existed, here at the corner of 6th and Arbutus Street, in one form or another since 1907. From its beginnings as a sundries store to it’s evolution as a neighbourhood coffeehouse, little has changed with the look of the building. Listed as a Class A Heritage Building by the Vancouver Heritage Register, the location has long been locally renown and treasured.
In 2002, the coffee shop opened in its existing incarnation intent on being a comfortable, easygoing addition to the neighbourhood – a casual place with great coffee, great baking and most importantly, an ambient atmosphere to tie it all together. Beginning in December of 2007, in an effort to increase our profile as a coffee emporium, the operating name of the company became Arbutus Coffee and with that came a few small changes.
While our products continue to be made in-house, our endeavours in knowing our customers (and their husbands, wives, kids and dogs!) and consistently serving up top notch coffee as well as homemade treats has allowed us to grow steadily from a one-woman operation to a team of friendly and committed students, artists, travellers and overall hard-working individuals.
Our goal is to maintain these high standards and continue along this path of growth while keeping to our small-time roots. Whether it’s two customers or two hundred customers, we strive to be warm, welcoming and worth the while for each of them.